Why is SERVPRO concerned about creating community awareness regarding cyber attacks and cyber security? The more our world becomes connected to the internet the greater the risk for property damage. Consider the following scenarios:
- Hackers gain access to a steel mill via a phishing attack introducing malware to the control system that prevents the shutdown of a blast furnace causing massive damage.
- A power grid is remotely disabled by hackers causing extensive power outages.
- Using a homemade transmitter, a teenager trips rail switches and derails train cars.
- A hacker infiltrates the computerized waste management system and deliberately spills millions of gallons of raw sewage.
- Machines at a hospital are infected by malware and a remote-access program is installed on the hospital's HVAC system. This jeopardizes patient safety by putting drugs and other medical supplies at risk by altering the heating, AC and ventilation systems.
Sound like science fiction? They are all true incidents and it is predicted that as the IoT (Internet of Things) continues to expand, property attacks will become more prevalent and costly. Imagine hackers gaining access to the freezer temperature control at a frozen food manufacturer or infiltrating the computer system that regulates the fire sprinkler system in a large hotel. The focus on cyber security and providing appropriate cyber coverage for commercial customers is not only important to protect data but also to protect vital system functions. Hackers have only scratched the surface when it comes to property damage so it is important to educate yourself about cyber risks before a catastrophic incident occurs.