NEVER... Walk Away from the Stove
Sporting Events and Television!
It happens, especially during sporting events…… you can hear the roar of excitement from the other room, and you know you are missing the big play of the game. So you leave the stove, just for a quick peek. Only it’s just never as quick as you anticipate. Meanwhile back in the kitchen….grease fire has erupted. It can happen so quickly, the cooking oil gets over heated and out of control.
Good Rule: never leave the stove or turn your back for any period of time.
1) Evaluate – call 911 if it is out of control while gathering family and get to safety
2) Put a metal lid on it
3) Turn off the heat
4) Dump baking soda
5) Chemical fire extinguisher is best as a last resort or if the above options are not available
6) Stop. Let the area sit, cool down, before you address the damage.
NO, NO, NO
1) Do not throw water
2) Do not use a hand towel
We hope you never need to remember these tips. But your SERVPRO Team is here to help with the clean up should disaster strike. The photos are from a kitchen grease fire; just a second of “unattended”. The good news is the final repairs are beautiful; "Like it never even happened." No family members, or pets were injured in the event. Just frayed nerves and a bit of quilt. (Accidents happen and we should learn from them and move forward.)
Quick thinking allowed the structure damage to be contained to the kitchen. However soot and smoke damage occurred throughout the residence.
We are here to help 800-648-1212