If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (330) 650-4486

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

The Top 10 Causes of Fire in Northern Summit County

11/4/2019 (Permalink)

Orange SERVPRO  house logo on image with firefighters and fire SERVPRO of Northern Summit County has the expertise and the resources to handle any size disaster. If you need assistance call (330) 650-4486

According to the National Fire Protection Association, an estimated 374,000 U.S. homes catch fire annually. The cumulative damage is jaw-dropping. The price tag: Almost $8 billion annually.

The key to home fire prevention is knowing the most common causes. Working smoke detectors in the kitchen and on every floor are a must for every American home.

Here are the top 10 causes of fires:

  1. Cooking: All it takes is an unsupervised oven; never leave a stove unattended, maintain a three-foot buffer between you and a hot stove. Make sure to keep a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
  2. Kids Playing with Fire: Kids are naturally curious about fire. Parents should ensure young children don’t have access to matches, lighters and easily flammable liquids and materials.
  3. Smoking: Some might fall asleep in their chair while smoking and may wake up seeing your living room in flames. An unattended burning cigarette in an ash tray or a just a few fallen ashes on carpet can ignite a serious blaze in your home.
  4. Heating:  Space heaters are extremely flammable and can easy overload. Keep them away from furniture and appliances.
  5. Electrical: An overloaded circuit board, or even a power cord or faulty extension cord, can have your home smoking in short time. Be aware of the amount of watts you are plugging in to any extension cord.
  6. Candles: These are a practical and cheap mean of light and nothing sets the mood for a romantic or intimate dinner. Always ensure all candles are blown out before leaving the room or house or going to sleep.
  7. Fireplace: Fireplaces can turn from trusted heating sources to ground zero of a house fire. Unattended fires are the main cause of fireplace-centered house fires.
  8. Dryers: Dryers are loaded with debris, are highly flammable and can lead to fires.
    Improper dryer vents and venting can lead to dryer-related fires. Remove the lint screen after every use.
  9. Flammable Products:  Be sure all gasoline and oil used for lawn mowers and snowblowers are capped and kept away from other potential fire sources. Make sure all trash reciprocals are firmly covered and stored away from your home.
  10. Christmas Trees: Dry Christmas trees wrapped with lights and electrical cords are the greatest fire threat. When celebrating with a live Christmas tree, make sure it is well watered and leave the lights off when you are not home.

SERVPRO of Northern Summit County has the expertise and the resources to handle any size disaster. If you need assistance with storm or flooding call (330) 650-4486


Other News

View Recent Posts